Thursday, November 20, 2008

The Rescues - Crazy Ever After


I'm not sure how I found out about the band The Rescues, since I don't watch Grey's Anatomy.

It sort of ended up in my eMusic Saved for Later file, and who knows how it got there.

But I'm glad it did.

The first thing that comes to mind when you here it is Fleetwood Mac. Lots of girl/guy harmonies, sweet pop melodies, personal lyrics. Say what you will about Fleetwood Mac (and I'm sure you will), if you own any Top 40 pop from the past 30 years, Fleetwood Mac was an influence.

The Rescues "Crazy Ever After" is a fantastic album from this L.A. quartet of singer-songwriters. It melds those pop melodies with some slight country undertones (think Nickel Creek, Alison Krauss) and 90s era soft rock (think Hootie and the Blowfish, Elliot Smith).

It's always refreshing when people who can sing, get together and sing at the same time. Much of the album is covered in these sorts of harmonies. The title track, in addition to being well written, is just beautifully performed. "Matter of Time" is just another perfect song, sounding more like Fleetwood Mac than not.

I'm told this group wants to make super pop music, and it seems fair to say that they've come close.
Buy The Rescues 'Crazy Ever After'

1 comment:

jimb said...

I have been loving this album for the last week. Hopefully you aren't going to try and fake me out by posting about a band that isn't good just to see if I'll like it. So far I've been using this blog for a gateway to band I should be listening to.