Thursday, July 16, 2009

The DP's Top Music of the year so far...

So I've been lollygaggin since I put out the request to my fellow gang of bloggers about this. But below you will find what I think is some of the best music so far this year. There are some surprises, but for the most part, what you see here is stuff I have either written about here or on the Twitters (you follow me right???)

Nevertheless, here it goes.

1. Death Cab For Cutie's "The Open Door EP."
What a perfect album. Or EP. whatever. Leaps and bounds better than Narrow Stairs, with some of Gibbard's best songwriting to date.

2. Dark was the Night, Various Artists.
I listened to this again today to make sure I wanted to put it on here. It seems like a copout. Like an indie record buffet, everyone is sure to find four or five tracks they love. But sample it all. You will fall in love again and again as you listen to it.

3. Technicolor Health by The Harlem Shakes
This snuck up on me. Yes, Shelby's played them on his show a bazillion times, but seriously, that Strictly Game song is the best feel good song of the year. But the album is full of good music, witty lyrics ("I don't even get your t-shirt's pun"), and just a good time. This will be on your summer playlist.

4. Adult Nights by Wild Light
You will get hooked by the chorus of the first song. You wil stay for the Arcade Fire lite tunes. Backed by a major label (and an awesome promo team), this will be a strong contender at the 2009 Grammys.

5. Colonia by A Camp
Dream 70's schmaltz pop by Swedish chantreuse. Yeah it works. And works and works and works again. Oh, what's that, you don't own it? You must have been absent in the crazy media build up for it. (Note: Publicity companies: Take a hype machine note from Stunt Publicity)

6. Telekinesis!
I'm genuienly excited about seeing this band at Merge XX. His album is just a well produced treat. The Tokyo song is another party starter this summer.

Remainders: M Ward's Hold Time, Discovery's LP, Major Lazer's (aka Diplo/Switch) Guns Don't Kill People, Pains of Being Pure At Heart, Cut Off Your Hands' You and I)

You know where to find this stuff.

No comments: